- Dave "Wendy's" Thomas born (1932)
6 Drinks to Soothe a Sore Throat
shutterstockThe doctor always says, "Drink lots of fluids."
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- Blue Eye Color Is Linked to Alcoholism, Study Suggests
- Signs of Alcohol Poisoning to Watch Out For
- 5 Questions with Julian and Preston Van Winkle of Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery
- Drink in the Allure of Alaska at These Breweries and Distilleries
- Niagara Water Recalls Some Bottled Waters Due to E. Coli
It begins with a tiny tickle in the back of your throat but it can turn into a burning sensation, hoarseness, and even swollen glands — sore throats are never fun. Whether it's the result of the flu or a cold or just something you wake up with in the morning, a sore throat is scratchy and painful and not something you want to stick around for long.
Never fear — there are plenty of tricks for soothing a sore throat. When you’re sick, the doctor always says, "Drink lots of fluids." And when it comes to soothing sore throats, that’s exactly what you should do. There are several drinks that can help ease the pain as well as clear congestion.
When we were growing up, our mothers always told us to gargle a glass of salt water when our throats hurt. Mixing honey with warm water is also recommended because honey contains antiviral and antibacterial properties. Lemon juice is not only good for soothing a sore throat but also for clearing congestion. And warm apple cider is another drink you should keep close by during the cold season. Click through our slideshow to find out which drinks will help soothe a sore throat.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts