- Chez Panisse opens (1971)
6 Classic and Creative Pumpkin Pie Recipes
Whole Foods Market
Whole Foods Market
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- Here's the Secret to Making Amazing Chocolate Cake
- Did Someone Say Deep-Fried Bacon and Beer Ice Cream Sandwiches? Get the Recipe Here
- 11 Reasons Soft Serve Is the Best Ice Cream Ever
- 10 Delicious Ice Cream Recipes That Make Having an Ice Cream Machine Worthwhile
- Costco Pulls Dinosaur Cake After Satanism Complaint
Pumpkin pie is a traditional fall dessert that's a staple on Thanksgiving tables across the country. Classic pumpkin pie is always comforting and makes us reminisce about our mother’s or grandmother’s recipe. But if you have the urge to go nuts with your pumpkin pie this year — try some of these creative recipes that include a streusel nut topping and other inventive ingredients.
To help take your pumpkin pie to the next level, we spoke with Kate Rowe, the culinary managing editor at Whole Foods Market. Here are some of her tips:
- Nuts make a great flavor pairing with pumpkin, so for pies, consider making a crust that uses pecans, walnuts, or almonds.
- If you’d like to cook your own pumpkin, look for varieties called out as sugar pumpkins or eating pumpkins. Note that fresh pumpkin contains a lot of moisture, so drain it after you cook it, and again after puréeing it, before proceeding with your pie recipe. You may need to make adjustments to your recipe — a perfect reason to do some practice pies — so bake a few in the weeks leading up to settle on your favorite recipe, spice blend, etc.
- Flavors to consider pairing with pumpkin are nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, coconut, honey, maple, and vanilla.
We’ve rounded up a few of our favorite out-of-the-box pies, but also kept it classic with a good old-fashioned standby recipe, too. Check out our recipes and make pumpkin pie a part of your Thanksgiving feast.
Emily Jacobs is the Recipe editor at The Daily Meal. Follow her on Twitter @EmilyRecipes.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts