- Lorenzo Delmonico born (1881)
30 Crazy New York Cream Cheeses
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- Taco Bell Is Testing Taco Shells Made Out of Fried Chicken
- Why You're a Bad Person If You Order Your Steak Well-Done
- Is Starbucks Temporarily Removing Bagels From All Stores?
- What Do People Taste Like? Murderers, Explorers, and Other Cannibals Weigh In
- Pizza Hut Will Give Away Free Pizza on ESPN’s ‘College GameDay’
Every New Yorker knows a good bagel: crispy on the outside, soft and chewy in the inside. But it’s the cream cheese that can turn a good bagel into a mouthwatering masterpiece. And New York City sure has its variety of noteworthy schmears.
Most delis carry the standard array of cream cheese flavors: plain, scallion, vegetable, lox, and strawberry. But to satisfy the bagel-hungry crowds, some get a little more creative with olive, blueberry, maple raisin walnut, sun-dried tomato, jalapeño, and vegan-friendly tofu flavors. But we dug a little deeper into the heart of New York City bagel shops to reveal some of the most unusual and enticing spreads.
The crazy flavors we found ranged from sweet to savory to spicy to salty, and when paired with the perfect bagel, they truly become a breakfast masterpiece. Nutella cream cheese with a cinnamon raisin bagel might sound like a no-brainer, but what would you pair with a chipotle-flavored spread? How about creamy red velvet? Or herb-infused caviar?
Check out the slideshow to see which unusual cream cheese flavors are hiding in bagel shops across New York. You might be surprised by what we uncovered.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts