30 Crazy New York Cream Cheeses
Today on The Daily Meal
- Cook and Janitor of Nursing Home Kept Working without Pay Because 'If We Left, They Wouldn't Have Nobody'
- Outpouring of Appreciation for Cook and Janitor Who Stayed Behind at Shuttered Nursing Home (and How You Can Help)
- 8 Irish Whiskies Beyond Jameson
- America’s Unhealthiest Fast Foods
- 8 Great Thanksgiving Toasts for Every Family
Every New Yorker knows a good bagel: crispy on the outside, soft and chewy in the inside. But it’s the cream cheese that can turn a good bagel into a mouthwatering masterpiece. And New York City sure has its variety of noteworthy schmears.
Most delis carry the standard array of cream cheese flavors: plain, scallion, vegetable, lox, and strawberry. But to satisfy the bagel-hungry crowds, some get a little more creative with olive, blueberry, maple raisin walnut, sun-dried tomato, jalapeño, and vegan-friendly tofu flavors. But we dug a little deeper into the heart of New York City bagel shops to reveal some of the most unusual and enticing spreads.[slideshow:
The crazy flavors we found ranged from sweet to savory to spicy to salty, and when paired with the perfect bagel, they truly become a breakfast masterpiece. Nutella cream cheese with a cinnamon raisin bagel might sound like a no-brainer, but what would you pair with a chipotle-flavored spread? How about creamy red velvet? Or herb-infused caviar?
Check out the slideshow to see which unusual cream cheese flavors are hiding in bagel shops across New York. You might be surprised by what we uncovered.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts