- Frappe Day
12 Portable Pies to Try
Recipe of the day
- A Regional Italian Food Journey to Expo Milano 2015
- Courtyard Restaurant in Botswana is a Unique Experience in Cuisine and Culture
- Italy Throws a Great Party But Still Hasn’t Found the Solution to World Hunger
- The Waffle House Museum Will Make You Book a Flight to Georgia Immediately
- Dubai’s Qbara Sets the Pace for Modern Arabian Cuisine
Few things are more comforting during the colder months of the year than the marriage of savory flavors and flaky pastry. The humble pie comes in many forms — there’s the fully-encased-in-pastry chicken pot pie, crusted open-faced pie like quiche, and even pies without a crust or pastry shell at all, like shepherd’s pie — but some of the best to try are savory hand-held pies. Many countries have their own versions; The Daily Meal has sampled savory handheld pies around the world and has compiled a dozen portable pies to try.
Whether eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or as a snack, savory pies have become a staple to stave off hunger.
No matter your portable pie of choice, one aspect is universal —these 12 pies are perfect on-the-go pockets of doughy, flavorful goodness. No fork required.
Tayler Stein is a Junior Writer at The Daily Meal. Follow her on Twitter @TaylerSteinTDM.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts