- Cream of Wheat invented (1893)
- Cream of Wheat introduced (1893)
12 Jazzed-Up Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes for Grown-Ups (and Kids, Too)
Recipe of the day
Who doesn't love a good grilled cheese sandwich? Some of our strongest food memories, likes, and dislikes are formed during childhood — a love of peanut butter or chocolate, a general loathing of Brussels sprouts or broccoli, or a connection between hot dogs and the ballpark. Or, painful memories of unexpected wasabi wedged in between a mound of sticky rice and a slice of fish — one of the strongest memories for yours truly. (The folks thought it was hilarious.)
And for many people, grilled cheese is also something that brings back a feeling of nostalgia. Do you remember the first time you had a homemade grilled cheese? It was probably almost as exciting as the first time you had ice cream. (Almost.) Sinking your teeth into a perfectly melted layer of cheese in between two buttered, warm, slightly crisp slices of bread, it was probably a wonder how something so simple could taste so good. And it still can be today, with a little inspiration.
That's why this week, The Daily Meal staff and members of the Culinary Content Network came up with 12 grown-up grilled cheese sandwiches for you to try at home. Here are a few highlights:
- Staff writer Emma Laperruque was inspired when she saw the recipe for an Inside-Out Grilled Cheese from Edzo's Burger Shop in Chicago in the spring 2013 issue of Culture Magazine: The Word on Cheese. Her version improves upon the original by using white Cheddar instead of American cheese and thin slices of green tomato.
- Culinary Content Network member Lisa Bowie has a Mexican Grilled Cheese you'll definitely want to try. Four delicious cheeses — white Cheddar, manchego, enchilada, and Colby Jack — melt together into layers of avocado and broiled poblano peppers to make a grilled cheese you won't forget.
- And don't miss out on this week's winning recipe by Dan Myers, The Smoky: Grilled Cheese with Smoked Cheddar, Ham, and Bacon.
Making a grilled cheese is a basic skill that should be in every cook's repertoire, and it's not difficult to do. You just have to keep a few common sense guidelines in mind when making them. For some great tips and techniques, make sure to check out the Secrets to the Best Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwich, which outlines how to make the classic grilled cheese sandwich and also basic principles that apply when making just about any grilled cheese.
All of the recipes featured here can be made at home for about $26 or less, excluding the cost of small amounts of basic ingredients such as butter, oil, flour, sugar, salt, pepper, and other dried herbs and spices.
Will Budiaman is the Recipe editor at The Daily Meal. Follow him on Twitter @WillBudiaman.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts