10 Potato Recipes You Need to Know
Today on The Daily Meal
- Cook and Janitor of Nursing Home Kept Working without Pay Because 'If We Left, They Wouldn't Have Nobody'
- Outpouring of Appreciation for Cook and Janitor Who Stayed Behind at Shuttered Nursing Home (and How You Can Help)
- 8 Irish Whiskies Beyond Jameson
- 8 Great Thanksgiving Toasts for Every Family
- How to Cook Turkey Breast for Thanksgiving
The beloved potato is one of the most versatile vegetables out there. It can stand alone as a main dish — think potato stew — or can serve as a classic accompaniment to your eggs Benedict or New York strip steak. And, it lends itself to a variety of cooking methods, too — it can be easily baked, fried, sautéed, roasted, or boiled.
The potato is the fifth most important crop worldwide, and is indispensible to the diets of people around the world. The vegetable comes in all sorts of varieties, like purple, red bliss, russet, and sweet potatoes, to name a few. All of these tubers are used differently in cooking, and vary in flavor and texture. And, most importantly, potatoes are good for you: they are low in saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium, and contain important vitamins like C, B6, potassium, and manganese.[slideshow:
So, here at The Daily Meal we wanted to celebrate the spud by giving you a rundown of our favorite traditional potato recipes (some with a little twist).
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts