10 Optical Illusion Dishes
Recipe of the day
- While McDonald’s Struggles, Burger King Reports Strongest North American Sales Increase in a Decade
- Restaurant Offers Jameis Winston Endless Free Crab Legs If Drafted by Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- New York’s Famous Carnegie Deli Shut Down After Alleged Gas Siphoning
- Restaurant Turns Tables on Customer’s Bad Online Review
- Restaurant Offends with Bruce Jenner Hot Dog
Have you ever been presented with a dish that you can't identify as food? How about a dish that looks like one thing and turns out to be another? Chefs have been disguising food for a long time, whether to amuse diners, or demonstrate artistry. Food science has grown rapidly as an area of focus in the food industry during the past decade. This fall, Harvard even began offering a physics course on the discipline of molecular gastronomy.
The fascination with studying the physical and chemical processes behind cooking is responsible for much of the experimental food that has driven the careers of such chefs as Ferran Adrià, Wylie Dufresne, Grant Achatz and José Andrés. From a deconstructed Caesar salad to a cupcake that looks like a plate of spaghetti and meatballs, we have rounded up a collection of truly inventive culinary creations to feast your eyes on.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts