10 Optical Illusion Dishes
Recipe of the day
- The 10 Best 24-Hour Chain Restaurants
- Gabe Thompson is Doing a Tex-Mex Brunch Pop-Up at L’Apicio This Weekend, March 28 and 29
- Ivan Ramen Has a New Late Night-Only Pork Belly and Shoulder Ramen
- Tony May's SD26 Changes Ownership
- EXCLUSIVE: Dunkin’ Donuts Debuts New Food Items, Including Oreo Cheesecake Square
Have you ever been presented with a dish that you can't identify as food? How about a dish that looks like one thing and turns out to be another? Chefs have been disguising food for a long time, whether to amuse diners, or demonstrate artistry. Food science has grown rapidly as an area of focus in the food industry during the past decade. This fall, Harvard even began offering a physics course on the discipline of molecular gastronomy.
The fascination with studying the physical and chemical processes behind cooking is responsible for much of the experimental food that has driven the careers of such chefs as Ferran Adrià, Wylie Dufresne, Grant Achatz and José Andrés. From a deconstructed Caesar salad to a cupcake that looks like a plate of spaghetti and meatballs, we have rounded up a collection of truly inventive culinary creations to feast your eyes on.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts