- World Coconut Day
- Blueberry Popsicle Day
10 Optical Illusion Dishes
Recipe of the day
- $100 and the Essay of a Lifetime Will Get You the Deed to This Restaurant and Bar
- Waitress Takes Care of Cancer Patient’s Bill at a New Jersey Pizza Shop
- The Newly Reopened Dirt Candy Will Now Serve a Vegetable Lovers Brunch
- America’s Best Chinese Restaurants Part 4: Yank Sing
- America’s Best Chinese Restaurants, Part 3: Peter Chang’s China Café
Have you ever been presented with a dish that you can't identify as food? How about a dish that looks like one thing and turns out to be another? Chefs have been disguising food for a long time, whether to amuse diners, or demonstrate artistry. Food science has grown rapidly as an area of focus in the food industry during the past decade. This fall, Harvard even began offering a physics course on the discipline of molecular gastronomy.
The fascination with studying the physical and chemical processes behind cooking is responsible for much of the experimental food that has driven the careers of such chefs as Ferran Adrià, Wylie Dufresne, Grant Achatz and José Andrés. From a deconstructed Caesar salad to a cupcake that looks like a plate of spaghetti and meatballs, we have rounded up a collection of truly inventive culinary creations to feast your eyes on.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts