10 Most Beautiful Restaurants in the World
Today on The Daily Meal
- Meet Beyonce, the World’s Most Beautiful Woman and Her Favorite Foods
- CEO of World View Experience Discusses $75K Trip for Civilians to Visit Space in 2016
- 8 Tips for Making Beautiful Latte Art (Plus the World’s Most Creative Latte Art)
- Meet Gwyneth Paltrow, the Most Beautiful Woman in the World, and Her Favorite Foods
- World's 10 Most Delicious Comfort Foods
- Cook and Janitor of Nursing Home Kept Working without Pay Because 'If We Left, They Wouldn't Have Nobody'
- Outpouring of Appreciation for Cook and Janitor Who Stayed Behind at Shuttered Nursing Home (and How You Can Help)
- McDonald’s Hires Ex-MythBuster to Improve Self-Image
- 8 Irish Whiskies Beyond Jameson
- America’s Unhealthiest Fast Foods
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a ham sandwich eaten in the rose garden at Versailles tastes exponentially better than the exact same ham sandwich eaten almost anywhere else in the world. There’s a reason so many marriage proposals happen over dessert courses in five-star restaurants, and the reason has little to do with the tuna tartare and more to do with the romantic thrill of eating a delicious meal in a beautiful setting. For a meal that makes a lifelong memory, our visual senses must be stimulated along with our gustatory; the combination of loving what we see and loving what we taste marrying in our minds to produce a pleasure we don’t mind paying a premium for.
While there might be a lot to be said for homey diners and mom and pop bistros, a truly magnificent restaurant can feel like fairy tale magic, transforming the basic necessity of eating into an act of artistic expression. An avant-garde restaurant concept can make a meal feel cutting edge, daring even, while a classically designed dining room with its upright opulence makes dining absolutely indulgent, bringing to mind the daylong celebrations of bygone monarchies, allowing us commoners, for the length of a meal, to understand what it truly means to feast.
To compile this list, we took many factors into consideration. The first thing we looked for were accolades for the structure itself: design awards and mentions in esteemed architectural publications. Then we looked at the designers of the restaurants; for example, Odile Decq, the mastermind behind L'Opera, is one of France's most influential architects, so the restaurant itself is a piece of practical art.
A beautiful location was also a factor because even the loveliest dining room can be a drag if it overlooks a parking lot. And finally, because a restaurant must be functional as well aesthetically pleasing, we took into consideration the acclaim of the restaurant as a whole, using Michelin Stars, awards, and positive press as our guide.[slideshow:
In this list, you'll find some of the most celebrated dining spots in the world, lauded for both the quality of their food and the beauty of their environments.Take a look at our slideshow for photographs of some of the world’s most beautiful restaurants. Some have a rustic, countryside charm, while others incorporate high art and truly astonishing architecture into the dining experience. All are meticulously planned and elegantly designed, truly dream dining destinations.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts