Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic
- 1 3/4 pound Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 head garlic
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chiffonade
- 1/4 cup Grana Padano, grated
- Foil-Baked Salmon with Mango, Chile, and Lime
- Grilled Eggplant with Feta and Cucumber
- Grilled Swordfish Sliders
- Cinnamon-Scented Millet with Grilled Summer Vegetables
- Penne with Cherry Tomatoes and Zucchini Blossoms
- Grilled Swordfish with Thai Dipping Sauce
- Bacon and Jarlsberg Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 'No-Name' Hot Dog
- Grilled Fish with Watermelon Salsa
Sometimes, you just need a straight-up, no-frills mashed potato recipe. Well, here it is. OK, maybe it's not quite as no-frills as I made it out to be, what with the roasted garlic and all, but feel free to leave that out. I think it's kind of a nice twist.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Place the potatoes in a large pot with plenty of cold water and set over high heat. Cover with a lid and cook until fork-tender, about 50 minutes.
Meanwhile, chop the top off the head of garlic and drizzle with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Place on a small baking sheet or roasting pan and roast for about 50 minutes.
Drain the potatoes and remove the garlic from the oven. Let cool. Once the garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze out the cloves using your hands and combine them with the potatoes in a large bowl. Add the remaining olive oil and milk and mash with a fork or potato masher. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the parsley and cheese and stir to combine. Serve immediately.