Goal-Related Promotions Get Out of Hand in Germany
Today on The Daily Meal
- Restaurant Consultant Allegedly Handed Out Fake 'A' Grades
- Tennessee McDonald's Hands Out Bag of Cash, Not Breakfast
- KFC and Comedy Central Create 'Growing Up and Getting Out' Web Series
- Sean Brock, Andy Ricker Get Shout-Outs in Cooking Light's Chef Awards
- A Vegetarian’s Guide to Dining Out in Germany
- Cook and Janitor of Nursing Home Kept Working without Pay Because 'If We Left, They Wouldn't Have Nobody'
- Outpouring of Appreciation for Cook and Janitor Who Stayed Behind at Shuttered Nursing Home (and How You Can Help)
- America’s Unhealthiest Fast Foods
- Best Turkey Tips for Thanksgiving
- 8 Irish Whiskies Beyond Jameson
Patriotic sports promotions are a good way to drum up extra business during a big event like the World Cup, but several German bars and bakeries found themselves running out of stock this week after their giveaway offers got out of hand.
According to The Local, Schraders Bar in Berlin advertised free shots for every goal scored during the match between Germany and Brazil on Tuesday. Then Germany went on to stun everyone by scoring seven goals, and the bar wound up giving away over a thousand shots.
“We had to mix more,” said manager Christian Wojtek. Schraders will be reprising the promotion when Germany plays Argentina in the finals Sunday.
A restaurant in Hamburg that was giving away beer for goals wound up pouring 350 liters of free beer during the game, while a bar in Essen just gave up counting goals and put boxes of shots on the bar and told customers to help themselves.
One German bakery has been offering a free bun for every goal scored by Germany during the World Cup. The goal-related promotion was a fun, relatively low-risk way to celebrate the World Cup until Tuesday night. Wednesday they ran out of buns completely.
"I don't have exact numbers yet but we gave away hundreds of thousands of buns," said manager Dirk Jonack. The bakery wound up running out of buns completely and having to give out vouchers for free buns in the future instead.
Still, Jonack said he’d be happy to see an equally big win against Argentina in the final. The bakery would just have to make more buns.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts