Who Makes the South's Best Fried Chicken?
Recipe of the day
- What Did The World's Most Notorious Criminals Request for Their Last Meals?
- ‘World’s Hottest Burger’ is Doused in Hot Sauce and Literally Set on Fire
- KFC is Launching Edible Coffee Cups Made of Cookies and Chocolate
- Fermented Shark and 10 More of the World’s Stinkiest Foods
- Foods That Make You Feel Fuller Longer
- Acclaimed Chef Peter Chang is Opening a Fast-Casual Concept called Peter Chang Wok
- Obese Chef Dropped Nearly 300 Pounds After His Friend Sent Him Mean Texts Every Day for Six Weeks
- Alex Guarnaschelli Talks Her Upcoming Restaurant and Love for Chocolate
- Australian Celebrity Chef Mark Best Brings Down-Under 'Bistronomy' to Sydney
- Watch: Cronut Creator Dominique Ansel on the Nature of Invention
Crispy and juicy, golden and delicious, floured or battered, pan-, deep-, or pressure-fried — however you believe it should be cooked, fried chicken is a matter close to the Southern heart. Asking someone to name the region's best version could be as dangerous and sensitive as announcing during Sunday supper that Momma's is better than Granny's.
"These are loaded questions," said chef David Guas of Bayou Bakery, Coffee Bar & Eatery in Arlington, Va.
Sure, but that didn't stop some great chefs from weighing in with their opinions. And with the second annual Atlanta Food & Wine Festival around the corner, it's something that you might imagine you'd hear being debated, or at least asked, by some of the festival's out-of-town visitors looking for the best renditions.
To go one better, how about getting chefs to divulge what they believe to be the secrets to making the best fried chicken in the world? Buttermilk? Lard? Salting the buttermilk? Soaking the chicken overnight? Find out the picks and recipe secrets for the South's best fried chicken from chefs David Guas, Shaun Doty, Linton Hopkins, Anthony Lamas, Norman Van Aken, Kelly English, Sean Brock, Kristen Hard, and Ford Fry.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts