Who Invented Your Favorite Foods?
Recipe of the day
- Study Says 61 Percent of Our Grocery Purchases Are Highly Processed Foods
- Former Cook Will Serve 4 Years in Jail for Spitting in Customer’s Food and Eluding Police
- Walmart Updates Animal Welfare Standards After Pork Distributor Accused of Animal Abuse
- What 'All-Natural' and 9 Other Food Labels Actually Mean
- Egg Shortage Looms Ahead As a Result of Devastating Bird Flu
It might be hard to imagine, but there was a time when nachos didn’t exist. Or hamburgers. Or chocolate chip cookies. Every food that we eat, except for the real staples like rice, was invented at some point by someone. We rounded up ten of those inventors, and the stories behind some of your favorite foods are fascinating.
When we’re eating, we tend to not think about the history and historical context of the food in front of us. We tend to just think about how tasty (or not tasty) it is.But behind every food item lurks a story; many have been lost to the ages (nobody really knows how bread came to be, for example, or pizza), but the stories behind some of the world’s most popular foods are still around.
Learning about the histories behind popular foods is important for anyone who considers themselves to be a food lover.
So read on to learn the histories behind ten popular foods. We guarantee that by the time you’re done you’ll have learned something, and will also most likely be at least a little hungry.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts