Check out our editors' picks for this week's top food section recipes.
• Walnuts and pears make a savory-sweet vegan soup, from Gwynnett St.'s chef.
• Applesauce gets an adult makeover with the addition of brandy in this boozy recipe.
• The perfect midnight snack: pasta with garlic, anchovies, peppers, and capers.
• Classic celery and apple salad gets an extra kick with the addition of poached celery root and a crème fraîche dressing.
• Chickpeas are good in more than hummus; this chickpea sweet recipe (Besan Laddu) is often made to celebrate Pancha Ganapathi, from Dec. 21-25.
• Warm rice pudding is a perfect staple for winter nights. Top with a poached pear or eat it plain.
• Holiday baking gets exotic with Indian pudding cookies, gingerbread-like cookies made with cornmeal and molasses.
• This quick and healthy steak recipe is spiced up with onions and a red tomato sauce.
• Dress up turkey spinach salad with tropical kiwi for a bright take on the Thanksgiving leftover classic.
Portland Press Herald
• Make a fancy Yule Log this Christmas and get some wows.
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.