Video Proves Lobsters are Cannibals
Recipe of the day
- What Did The World's Most Notorious Criminals Request for Their Last Meals?
- ‘World’s Hottest Burger’ is Doused in Hot Sauce and Literally Set on Fire
- KFC is Launching Edible Coffee Cups Made of Cookies and Chocolate
- Fermented Shark and 10 More of the World’s Stinkiest Foods
- Foods That Make You Feel Fuller Longer
Holy cannoli this is disturbing; a Blair Witch-esque video has surfaced on the Web, proving that lobsters really are cannibals out in the wild.
Past reports have shown that lobsters have eaten each other while in small quarters, when caught in traps, and baby lobsters have been found in the bellies of adult lobsters. This video below, however, is proof that even in the wild, lobsters will eat young'uns if they can.
Maine graduate student Noah Oppenheim tied a baby lobster to a camera and waited to search for movements. Using infrared technology, he found that lobster predators like cod often ignored the tiny bait, but adults lobsters simply attack, even fighting over a baby lobster.
Oppenheim blamed the cannibalism on overpopulation. "If you go scuba diving out here, they're carpeting the ground," Oppenheim told The Salt. "So the rate that they encounter each other has dramatically increased." Luckily, if you really love lobster, they probably won't eat themselves to extinction, The Salt reports.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts