Todd Fisher on 'United States of Bacon'
We talk to the Destination America host about his new bacon-centric show
Recipe of the day
- Dogfish Head Releases Official Beer of Record Store Day
- Sugar Reduces Levels of Stress Hormone Better Than Aspartame, Researchers Find
- Physical Inactivity Is Not as Related to Obesity as We Thought
- Widely Used Nicotine-Like Pesticide Is Dangerous and Addictive to Bees, Study Shows
- Ocean Economy, Worth $24 Trillion, in Rapid Decline From Overfishing, Climate Change
Todd Fisher has arguably the best job in the world — he goes around the country documenting the best places for bacon for his new show The United States of Bacon. What could be better than that? As Fisher puts it, "We’re literally scaling the country finding the best bacon dishes, from mom and pops to artisan dishes to you name it! Kind of seeking it all out and then condensing it down."
The show started as a one-off special, but no one was surprised to see that the desire for more bacon is high. "It has kind of spurred this whole new 12 episode series from Iowa to Milwaukee to Baltimore," said Fisher.
Fisher said that one of the most interesting parts of his journey was discovering the many ways people make and use bacon. "Depending on the region you’re in, we found a lot of places use what we call Virginia-style bacon, that breakfast bacon. Crispy, thin, salty delicious, and then you’ve got people who really want to get into it and craft their own bacon. They’re bringing their own bellies and doing the smoking in their back yards. It’s amazing," said Fisher.
For more, and to hear Fisher’s bacon tips, watch the video above! And catch United States of Bacon on Destination America Tuesdays at 9 p.m.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts