Thai Red Curry with Lamb Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ounces red curry paste
- 2 small yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- One 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- ¾ pound lamb stew meat or tenderloins cut in ¾-inch pieces
- Cooked rice, for serving, preferably brown rice
- Sliced jalapeño, for garnish
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Harvest Kale Salad with Honey-Miso Dressing
- Garlic Ginger Chicken Wings
- Maple-Bacon Salmon
- Slow-Cooked Short Ribs
- Perfect Soft-Boiled Eggs with Toast Soldiers
- Merguez, Kale, and Sweet Potato Frittata
- Easy Peanut Butter Cookie
- Green Beans Almondine
- Sausage-Stuffed Acorn Squash with Pinenuts and Cherries
I love Thai curries. The aroma alone of creamy coconut milk with the slight heat of the pungent curry spices makes my mouth water. I will often add lamb coupled with whatever vegetables I have on hand and simmer the mixture together until meltingly tender. Alone, a curry is a hearty alternative to a bowl of soup. For something even more substantial, serve it atop a cup of brown rice cooked with a bit of coconut oil and coconut milk, for added flavor. Added benefit of this recipe? It cooks in the same amount of time it takes to cook rice.
While I used lamb, onions, and bell peppers in this curry, you can really use whatever ingredients you have on hand. For example, try chicken instead of lamb, and use fresh snow peas and zucchini instead of the red bell peppers. A vegetarian? You can also use chopped tofu as well.
In a large saucepan, heat olive oil. Add curry paste and cook, constantly stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the onions and the peppers and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the coconut milk, soy sauce, and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the lamb. Cover with a lid and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or longer if the lamb is not yet cooked.
Remove the lid and let the curry sit for 5 minutes. Serve over a bowl of rice and garnish with sliced jalapeños and basil.
Calories per serving:537 calories
Dietary restrictions:High Fiber, Low Carb Dairy Free, Egg Free, Milk Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added
Have a question about nutritional data? Let us know.