A Tea Time Fit for the Queen
Today on The Daily Meal
- Cook and Janitor of Nursing Home Kept Working without Pay Because 'If We Left, They Wouldn't Have Nobody'
- Outpouring of Appreciation for Cook and Janitor Who Stayed Behind at Shuttered Nursing Home (and How You Can Help)
- America’s Unhealthiest Fast Foods
- Best Turkey Tips for Thanksgiving
- 8 Irish Whiskies Beyond Jameson
To mark 60 years of Queen Elizabeth II’s reign, Britain is celebrating the Diamond Jubilee with celebrations fit for a queen from June 2 to 5. While the English will be commemorating the Jubilee with pageants, parades, concerts and derbies, Americans can get in on the merriment by planning their own teatime party, complete with United Kingdom-inspired hors d'oeuvres and cocktails.
With a classic British pastime, afternoon tea, you can celebrate the Diamond Jubilee just like the queen. Throwing a fete like this one requires all the fixings — pastel and floral décor, traditional white Victorian lace, and you guessed it, hats galore.
Have friends come dressed in fitting attire and whip up a feast fit for a queen with dishes that will hold true to their English roots.
If you need a little guidance, here are a few recipes to get you started:
London’s Finest Cheese Crisps
• 1 (10-ounces) package pie crust mix
• 1/2 cup finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 teaspoon Original TABASCO brand Pepper Sauce
• Poppy seeds
Preheat oven to 375°F. Place pie crust mix in a medium bowl; stir in cheeses. Add TABASCO sauce to water called for in package directions and stir into pie crust mix with a fork until dough forms.
Shape dough into a disc and place between 2 sheets of waxed paper. Roll into a square about 1/8-inch thick with a rolling pin. Cut pastry into 2-inch wide strips and cut strips into triangles with a floured pastry wheel, pizza cutter, or knife. Place on ungreased cookie sheets and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake 5 to 8 minutes or until browned. Makes 2 to 3 dozen.
Palace Peppered Pinwheels
• 2 (8-ounces) packages cream cheese, softened
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
• 2 tablespoons TABASCO brand Green Jalapeño Pepper Sauce
• 2 teaspoons Original TABASCO brand Pepper Sauce
• 1 dozen fajita-size (6- to 7-inch) flour tortillas
• 1 1/2 pounds thinly sliced deli meat, such as turkey or ham
Combine cream cheese, parsley, TABASCO Green Sauce, and Original TABASCO Sauce in a bowl; mix well. Spread about 2 1/2 tablespoons over each tortilla and top with two slices deli meat. Roll up tightly and secure with toothpicks, if needed. Place rolls in an airtight container and chill until ready to serve. Remove toothpicks and cut into 3/4-inch slices. Makes 7 to 8 dozen.
High Time for Jubilee Tea
• 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
• 2 tablespoons lemon-lime carbonated beverage
• 1 tablespoon light rum
• 1 tablespoon tequila
• 1 tablespoon vodka
• 1 tablespoon Beefeater London Dry Gin
• 3 drops Original TABASCO brand Pepper Sauce
Combine all ingredients and pour into a 12-ounce highball glass filled with ice; stir. If desired, garnish glass with a wedge of pineapple or lime. Makes 1 serving.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts