Cheese and ice cream are two of the most beloved — and often dreaded — foodstuffs in American households. But now all sorts of dairy products are being made with goat's milk so that the lactose-intolerant can indulge without, ahem, complications. Though the items can be hard to find outside of specialty grocery stores, Belle Chèvre and LaLoo's are making versions that can be ordered online that go beyond the ordinary.
Add coffee flavor to goat's milk and voilà — you have Belle Chèvre Coffee Chèvre Breakfast Cheese and LaLoo’s Goat’s Milk Ice Cream in Capraccino. The battle below is about to begin — on your mark, get set, goat!
Belle Chèvre Coffee Chèvre Breakfast Cheese
- Price: $6.50
- Quantity: 6 ounces
- Origin: Elkmont, Ala.
- Availability: Online
- Ingredients: Pasteurized goat milk, culture, enzymes, salt, sugar, coffee.
- Calories: 120 per 1 ounce serving
- Label Description: “An incredibly yummy and healthy alternative to cream cheese. Handmade, all natural, coffee, breakfast cheese.”
- Taste: We wouldn’t trade it up for our morning’s cup of coffee due to the tart, pungent undertones. However, it would be great on raisin toast for breakfast or spread on top of a square of chocolate for a special treat. And if you were really looking to impress the most sophisticated of palettes, it would make an extraordinarily bold cheesecake.
LaLoo’s Goat’s Milk Ice Cream in Capraccino
- Price: $6.99
- Quantity: 1 pint
- Origin: Sonoma County, Calif.
- Availability: Available in stores nationwide and online.
- Ingredients: Goat milk, sugar, egg yolks, Italian espresso roast, locust bean gum, guar gum
- Calories: 150 per ½ cup serving
- Label Description: “Goat’s milk ice cream. Lactose friendly. All natural. Italian espresso roast whipped with extra foam.”
- Taste: Creamy, rich, and sweet. There were no pungent goaty undertones in this ice cream and no fatty film left on the tongue like in full-fat cow’s milk ice creams. This we could definitely eat for breakfast — in the summer, of course.