Summer Fish Stew
- 26 ounces white fish, such as pollock (including bones and heads), filleted and cut into small, 2-inch chunks
- 3 pints water
- 2 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- One 1-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and crushed
- 1 cup white wine
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 10 black olives, pitted and chopped
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 ounces rice
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- One bunch fresh basil, torn
- Summer Lamb with Fennel and Roasted Nectarines
- Mussels Cooked with Cream, Chorizo, Garlic, and Flat-leaf Parsley
- Thyme-Herbed Soda Bread
- Hot Cross Buns
- Mini Guinness Chocolate Mousse
- Pesto Ricotta Tart Recipe
- Homemade Feta and Sun-Dried Tomato Sausages
- Easy Italian Pasta Salad Recipe
- Spicy Pita Chips Recipe
This dish oozes of a seaside summer! The secret to this recipe is in the fish stock. If you have time over the weekend, make it advance so you can just throw everything together at the last minute and you’ll have a really hearty, summer stew. If you’re short on time, though, ask your local market where to find the best fish stock.
First, make the fish stock. Place the fish bones and heads in a large saucepan and cover with the water. Throw in the peppercorns, bay leaf, sliced carrot, and onion. Bring to a boil and leave to simmer, uncovered, for 30–40 minutes. Strain well.
Place a heavy-bottomed saucepan over a medium heat, pour in the olive oil, and then add the garlic, chopped onion, and ginger. Cover and sweat for 2 minutes. Remove the lid and add the white wine, tomatoes, turmeric, paprika, olives, cherry tomatoes, 5 ounces of the fish stock, and the rice. Leave to cook for 10 minutes. Add the fish and cook for a further 5 minutes until cooked through.
Squeeze in the lime juice, season with salt and pepper to taste, and stir in the fresh basil leaves. Serve in bowls with some white chunky bread on the side to soak up all the delicious juices!
Calories per serving:549 calories
Dietary restrictions:Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Milk Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Shellfish Free
Have a question about nutritional data? Let us know.