- Dave "Wendy's" Thomas born (1932)
STREETS International 7th Annual Benefit
Recipe of the day
- 9 Things You Need to Know about Kombucha, Kimchi, and Other Probiotic Foods
- Everything You’re Doing to Ruin Your Metabolism, and What You Should Be Doing Instead
- Graphic Footage of Inhumane Slaughter Practices at Foster Farms Leads to Suspension of 5 Employees
- United States to Begin Importing Eggs From the Netherlands to Deal with Bird Flu-Related Shortage
- Chimpanzees Possess the Ability to Cook, and Can Appreciate a Good Sweet Potato
By Stephanie Fraiman
This week, more than 200 members of the New York community came together to support STREETS International, a Hoi An, Vietnam-based nonprofit organization that trains underprivileged young men and women to succeed in their region’s growing 5-star hospitality industry.
STREETS was founded by Dr. Neal Bermas (a former ICE Culinary Management instructor) and his partner Sondra Stewart in 2007. Now in its seventh year of success, their 18-month training program for disadvantaged Vietnamese youth is hosted at four locations in Hoi An: The STREETS Restaurant and Cafe, a training center and two single-sex dorm houses. Among its most notable accolades, STREETS was inducted into the Clinton Global Initiative in 2014.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts