- World Water Week begins
STREETS International 7th Annual Benefit
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- Environmentalist Eats Squirrel During News Segment on Meat Ethics
- Agricultural Agency Sued for Routinely Withholding Information on GMO Crops
- Farmers Turn to Hornet-Eating Plant to Save the Bees
- Whole Foods Admits That Its Bizarre $6 Asparagus Water Was a Mistake
- Blogger Spotlight: A Mind ‘Full’ Mom
By Stephanie Fraiman
This week, more than 200 members of the New York community came together to support STREETS International, a Hoi An, Vietnam-based nonprofit organization that trains underprivileged young men and women to succeed in their region’s growing 5-star hospitality industry.
STREETS was founded by Dr. Neal Bermas (a former ICE Culinary Management instructor) and his partner Sondra Stewart in 2007. Now in its seventh year of success, their 18-month training program for disadvantaged Vietnamese youth is hosted at four locations in Hoi An: The STREETS Restaurant and Cafe, a training center and two single-sex dorm houses. Among its most notable accolades, STREETS was inducted into the Clinton Global Initiative in 2014.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts