- Craig Claiborne born (1920)
Stephanie Izard to Open Fast-Food Chicken Joint
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- New Champion? Matt Stonie Beats Out Joey Chestnut Again by Scarfing 10.5 Pounds of Ribs
- Alice Waters, Chef and Food Activist, to Receive National Humanities Medal From President Obama
- Tyler Florence’s Advice for Aspiring Food Truck Owners
- Chef Profile: A Voce Madison’s Davide Venturini
- New England Dunkin’ Donuts to Offer Judge Free Coffee for Life Following Tom Brady’s Suspension Lift
Stephanie Izard may forever be linked to a goat (given, you know, her restaurant Girl & The Goat), but it looks like she's working with a different animal for her next restaurant.
The Chicago Tribune reports that the former Top Chef contestant is working on a fast-food chicken concept in River North for next spring.
The menu will reportedly contain five chicken dishes and a few side dishes, in a tiny 2,000-square-foot space. Carryout will be her main focus, she said.
"My boyfriend and I were eating in a chicken place in the mall by Nordstrom. I'm always nervous about where my chicken comes from, and I thought how awesome it would be to have a place where you knew all the chickens came from local farms," Izard told the Tribune.
She's currently talking to local farmers to discuss how much chicken she will need for the first restaurant, although expansion is possible in other cities with other local farmers. No word on what type of chicken it will be, but since it's National Fried Chicken Day, here's to hoping for some Izard-approved fried wings.
Jessica Chou is an associate editor at The Daily Meal. Follow her on Twitter @jesschou.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts