Staying Lean this Summer by Eating Breakfast
A startling recent statistic was recently announced that only one-third of Americans eat breakfast on a daily basis. It is very interesting to note that Americans also happen to suffer with high rates of obesity and other health issues. Many studies are saying that there may be links between including a healthy breakfast in your diet and being lean. There are undoubtedly many benefits to eating a breakfast such improved concentration and performance and greater strength and endurance when engaging in physical activity. Perhaps what keeps people from enjoying the benefits of a breakfast is that they simply haven’t had the time to make it a priority. Here are some tips to help you eat breakfast daily.
1. Shop Twice a Week – In order to prioritize your cooking schedule in a smart way it is going to be important that you learn how to shop at least twice a week. The best days for shopping for food according to how a person eats is to do your grocery shopping on Sundays and Wednesdays. This allows for a good distribution of days and allows you to eat fresher more often.
2. Create a Calendar – Create yourself a two-week calendar that offers different variations of recipes for each week. This helps you keep organized hand helps you to stay on track when you need to buy certain ingredients. It also allows you to mix up your eating routine. Sometimes eating the same thing can get mundane. Having some sort of rotational schedule can help alleviate the monotony of eating the same things.
3. Cook in Bulk - It is best that you use your two shopping days as your primary days for cooking and preparation when possible. Because we all have our own priorities and multiple tasks that we need to get done during it is a good idea to cook your food ahead of time when possible and store it for future meals.
4. Eat within 30 Minutes of Waking Up – There are multiple sources that state that eating within thirty minutes of waking and including good sources of protein in that meal are very helpful for your metabolism. Eating a healthy breakfast within a good timeframe of waking can really help boost your productivity for the day and help you stay lean for the course of the day.
Here is a recipe to help you in your pursuit to stay healthy this summer:
QUICK VEGETABLE FRITTATA
• 1 carton (16 oz each) Egg Beaters® Original
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
• 3/4 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
• 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
• 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
• 1 can (14.5 oz each) Hunt's® Petite Diced Tomatoes, drained well
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1. Combine Egg Beaters, salt and pepper in medium bowl; set aside. Spray 10-inch ovenproof nonstick saute pan with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add spinach and garlic; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until spinach wilts. Stir in drained tomatoes and vinegar.
2. Pour Egg Beaters mixture evenly over spinach mixture; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until edges begin to set. Gently pull edges back while tilting pan to allow Egg Beaters to run beneath. Repeat two times. Reduce heat to medium; cover. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until top of frittata is almost set. Meanwhile, preheat broiler.
3. Uncover; place skillet under broiler. Broil 2 minutes or until top is set and lightly browned. Cut into 4 wedges.
TOTAL FAT: 1g
PREP TIME: 15 (MINUTES)
TOTAL TIME: 30 (MINUTES)