Spaghetti-and-Meatballs Ice Cream Wins Indiana State Fair
Recipe of the day
- What’s Happening in Washington, DC: March 30, 2015
- Step Out of Your Comfort Zone and into New York’s Adalya for Brunch
- The Memphis Taproom Beer Garden Serves the Best Hot Dog in Philadelphia
- Pommes Frites and Sushi Park Destroyed After Massive East Village Explosion and Building Collapse
- Lafayette Coney Island Serves the Best Hot Dog in Detroit
Deep-fried bubblegum and cotton candy step aside; the latest state fair craziness to hit the newstand has some serious Grant Achatz-like mind-boggling going on.
The Indiana State Fair has reportedly announced their signature food of the year, and it's spaghetti-and-meatballs ice cream. Luckily, the ice cream only looks like spaghetti and meatballs; it's really just gelato noodles, strawberry "tomato" sauce, shredded white chocolate "cheese," and chocolate "meatballs."
"You can't beat the presentation," one of the judges told Indy Star News. "It's just fantastic."
Other food treats that have popped up on the radar: raspberry donut chicken burgers (deep-fried chicken breast between two raspberry-jelly donuts à la Paula Deen), and a bacon peanut butter banana Elvis burger. As for the ubiquitous deep-fat fryer? It'll produce some deep-fried Samoa cookies, M&M's, Hershey kisses, and bubblegum-flavored marshmallows.
Other state fairs are also ramping up their food offerings, like lamb fries in Minnesota, and a barbecue pork-stuffed donut in Wisconsin. But the spaghetti-and-meatballs ice cream? Something Homaro Cantu over at moto would put out.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts