Spaghetti-and-Meatballs Ice Cream Wins Indiana State Fair
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- New York City Is Getting Its First-Ever Sonic Location… But You Have to Trek to Staten Island
- You Can Now Order Almost Any Food You Want Simply By Sending an Emoji
- Shake Shack’s New Very Limited-Edition Burger Is Made From Food Waste
- Whataburger Donates $100,000 to Help Texas Flood Relief Efforts
- Washington, DC New Menu Report: 05/ 27/15
Deep-fried bubblegum and cotton candy step aside; the latest state fair craziness to hit the newstand has some serious Grant Achatz-like mind-boggling going on.
The Indiana State Fair has reportedly announced their signature food of the year, and it's spaghetti-and-meatballs ice cream. Luckily, the ice cream only looks like spaghetti and meatballs; it's really just gelato noodles, strawberry "tomato" sauce, shredded white chocolate "cheese," and chocolate "meatballs."
"You can't beat the presentation," one of the judges told Indy Star News. "It's just fantastic."
Other food treats that have popped up on the radar: raspberry donut chicken burgers (deep-fried chicken breast between two raspberry-jelly donuts à la Paula Deen), and a bacon peanut butter banana Elvis burger. As for the ubiquitous deep-fat fryer? It'll produce some deep-fried Samoa cookies, M&M's, Hershey kisses, and bubblegum-flavored marshmallows.
Other state fairs are also ramping up their food offerings, like lamb fries in Minnesota, and a barbecue pork-stuffed donut in Wisconsin. But the spaghetti-and-meatballs ice cream? Something Homaro Cantu over at moto would put out.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts