Skillet-Roasted Chicken Breasts with Lavender and Red Wine-Butter Sauce Recipe
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large boneless chicken breasts, skin-on
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ¾ teaspoons coarse kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup Merlot, or other dry red wine
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- ½ teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dried lavender flowers*
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6-8 pieces
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- Fresh lavender sprigs, for garnish (optional)
This beautiful dish has a decidedly feminine flair, with a silky pink sauce and a flower garnish. But don’t let that prevent you from serving these chicken breasts to the most manly of men — it’s amazingly seductive.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
In a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Lay the chicken on paper towels and sprinkle on both sides with the black pepper and 1 teaspoon of the salt. When the pan is hot, cook the chicken, skin side down, until browned, about 5 minutes. Turn the chicken, place the skillet in the oven, and roast until the chicken is cooked through, 8-10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter or plates (be careful — the handle of the skillet will be very hot) and let it rest, loosely covered with foil, for 5 minutes.
While the chicken is in the oven, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream, wine, shallot, vinegar, and dried lavender and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 1⁄3 cup, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter, 2-3 pieces at a time, waiting until the pieces are melted before adding more. Stir in the white pepper and remaining ¾ teaspoon of salt. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
Serve the chicken hot, with the sauce drizzled on top, and garnished with the fresh lavender sprigs, if using.
Calories per serving:1,241 calories
Dietary restrictions:Low Carb
Have a question about nutritional data? Let us know.