School Children in India Die after Eating School Lunch

A contaminated lunch affected almost 50 people near Patna, India


Twenty-two children have died and more than two-dozen have been hospitalized after consuming a school lunch in Masrakh, a city fifty miles north of Patna, India, USA Today is reporting.

Indian officials confirmed on Wednesday, July 17th, that the lunch had been infected with insecticide. It is possible that the ingredients were not washed properly before they were served to the children.

All of the children are between the ages of 5 and 12, and fell ill on Tuesday after eating a lunch of rice, lentils, soybeans, and potatoes that was cooked in the school kitchen.

The lunch is a part of a national program that provides hot meals to children from impoverished families, and authorities have suspended the official in charge of the campaign.

Twenty-five children and the school cook in the hospital brings the number up to 47 people who have been affected by the lunch, none of whom are the school headmaster, who fled the school when he was informed of the illnesses and has since been charged with criminal negligence. 


Be a Part of the Conversation

Have something to say?
Add a comment (or see what others think).

Comments 0


Like this story? Get updates by email, facebook and twitter
Get daily food and wine coverage


Latest from The Daily Meal

The Daily Meal Video Network
DIY VS. BUY: Potato Chips

Post a comment

Add a Comment

Upload a picture of yourself no larger than 3MB, please see Terms for details
CAPTCHA
Please answer this Captcha to prove you are human
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.
CAPTCHA
Please answer this Captcha to prove you are human