Sausage Chili Verde with Hominy and Pumpkin Recipe
Daily Value: 39%
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Wheat-Free, Egg-Free, Milk-Free, Peanut-Free, Tree-Nut-Free, Soy-Free, Fish-Free, Shellfish-Free
|Folic Acid (B9)||17µg||4%|
|Fatty acids, total monounsaturated||19g||0%|
|Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated||6g||0%|
Exclusive from The Daily Meal
This contemporary dish celebrates the regional cooking staples of Mexico and fall's most seasonal produce.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound sausage meat, mild or hot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried whole oregano, crumbled
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 cups roasted tomatillo salsa
- One 15-ounce can hominy
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 pound sugar pumpking or butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt, to taste
Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until just translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the sausage meat and cook, stirring and breaking it up with a spoon, until it’s browned, about 10 minutes.
Spoon out and discard the excess fat, leaving 1-2 tablespoons in the pan. Stir in the oregano and garlic and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes more.
Stir in the Roasted Tomatillo Salsa, the hominy along with all of its liquid, the cilantro, and the pumpkin. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, until the pumpkin cubes are tender, 15-20 minutes. Taste and season with salt, if necessary. Serve right away.
Recipe DetailsServings: 4
Be a Part of the Conversation
Have something to say?
Add a comment (or see what others think).