- Juan Mari Arzak born (1942)
Sausage Chili Verde with Hominy and Pumpkin
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 Pound sausage meat, mild or hot
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon dried whole oregano, crumbled
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 Cups roasted tomatillo salsa
- One 15-ounce can hominy
- 1/2 Cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 Pound sugar pumpking or butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt, to taste
This contemporary dish celebrates the regional cooking staples of Mexico and fall's most seasonal produce.
Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until just translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the sausage meat and cook, stirring and breaking it up with a spoon, until it’s browned, about 10 minutes.
Spoon out and discard the excess fat, leaving 1-2 tablespoons in the pan. Stir in the oregano and garlic and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes more.
Stir in the Roasted Tomatillo Salsa, the hominy along with all of its liquid, the cilantro, and the pumpkin. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, until the pumpkin cubes are tender, 15-20 minutes. Taste and season with salt, if necessary. Serve right away.