- Peach Month begins
- Sandwich Month begins
- 3/4 Cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 Teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 1/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger root, minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 2 Bartlett pears, unpeeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 Teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 Cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 Cup crumbled blue cheese
Satisfaction is a fruit-and-cheese plate all in one cookie. Whether served before or after a meal, this sumptuous soft cookie with a light nut crunch perfectly complements a bubbly wine. If you’re making this recipe with a mild blue cheese, use pears. For a strong blue cheese, use peaches.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in the egg and lemon juice. Beat until well blended.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, ground ginger, baking soda, and salt and add to butter mixture. Beat until just incorporated.
Stir in the fresh ginger, thyme, pears, black pepper, and walnuts. Do not stir in blue cheese.
Scoop or drop the dough by 1-teaspoon portions and place 1 ½ inches apart on a parchment-lined or nonstick baking sheet. Place 1 blue cheese crumble on the center of each cookie. Don’t place more than one crumble; any more cheese will overwhelm the cookie. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Let sit for a couple of minutes and transfer to a cooling rack.