- Eid al Fitr(Ramadan ends)
White House Chef Sam Kass Getting Furloughed Thanks to Budget Cuts
Recipe of the day
- The Best Young Culinary Minds: Zagat’s 30 Under 30 List Is Released
- An Interview with French Chef Cesar Troisgros: Part 2
- An Interview with French Chef Cesar Troisgros: Part 1
- Talking Chocolate with Mr. Chocolate, Master Chef Jacques Torres
- Chef JJ Johnson and the Potash Twins Bring a Little Harlem Downtown to The Daily Meal
Well, this is awkward; Obama Foodorama reports that semi-celebrity White House chef Sam Kass might be put on furlough, as the White House implements budget cuts.
At a meeting Tuesday, the Let's Move! executive director joked with the press that his next stop was a "furlough meeting." "We're being furloughed. Shin [Inouye] and I are getting cut," Kass said, presumably as a joke.
When asked to confirm, Kass said, "I don't know," but the White House has yet to confirm or deny the move. AP reports that 480 workers on the budget staff might have to take days off sans pay, but Kass does say that the budget cuts won't affect the Let's Move campaign.
Kass has been a public representative of the White House kitchen ever since he helped create a vegetable garden on the South Lawn, growing more than 3,000 pounds of produce for the kitchen, TODAY notes. It is unclear if other chefs will be affected by furloughs.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts