Roasted Root Vegetables
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg, preferably freshly ground
- Juice of 1 orange (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 Cup chicken or turkey stock
- 1/2 Cup honey
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- 16 Ounces baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 3 medium-sized parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium-sized purple top turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 Cup raisins
- 1/2 Cup dried cranberries
- 6-8 dried apricots, diced
- 3-4 pieces crystalized ginger, diced finely
- 1 Teaspoon orange zest, for garnish (optional)
Honey, raisins, dried cranberries and apricots, crystallized ginger, and a touch of orange zest lend a sweet and zesty flavor to a healthy Thanksgiving side dish.
See all root vegetable recipes.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
In a medium-sized saucepan combine the cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg, orange juice, stock, honey, and salt and bring to a simmer, or heat until the honey is well distributed within the liquid. Place all of the remaining ingredients except for the zest in a large roasting pan and add the liquid mixture, tossing to coat evenly. Cover tightly with a snugly fitting lid or aluminum foil. (This will allow the vegetables to steam and par cook.)
Roast for 25 minutes covered. Remove the cover, and gently toss the vegetables to recoat in liquid. Roast until the vegetables are nicely glazed and lightly browned, about 20 more minutes. Garnish with the orange zest. Serve warm.