- First electric stove patented (1896)
Redwood Mills Food City Cornmeal Recalled
Simple Solution Inc.Grain beetles were found in the cornmeal mix.
Simple Solution Inc.
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- USDA Approves Chobani Greek Yogurt as Meat Alternative in Public Schools
- The USDA Considers Implementing Healthy Meals for Children in Daycares to Fight Childhood Obesity
- Fatty and Sugary Foods Could Diminish Important Brain Functions
- Confessions of a Picky Eater: Punta Cana Pescado
- Pizza Guy Administers CPR to Customer: ‘I Left a Pizza Boy, and Came Back a Pizza Man’
The Food City cornmeal mix manufactured by Renwood Mills has been recalled due to grain beetles, according to US Food Safety. Although the grain beetles may be unpleasant, they are reportedly benign. Food City also tested corn samples from the milling process as well as other Food City products, and they all turned out to not be infected.
In 2006, The Orange County Register reported a cornmeal recall by Albers grits due to insects found in bugs. Unfortunately, it was during Thanksgiving when cornmeal demand was high, for foods such as stuffing and cornbread.
It’s not because the cornmeal is old or the manufacturing site is dirty; cornmeal actually has a high exposure to infection. Chowhound suggests you should put the package in your freezer unless you plan to use it right away. But remember, these bugs love the grains and with Thanksgiving just a few months away we do not want to risk our delicious holiday!
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts