- Cream of Wheat invented (1893)
- Cream of Wheat introduced (1893)
Corn Muffins with Poblano Peppers
- 1 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 Cups finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 Cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 Tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 Cup chopped poblano peppers
- 2/3 Cups corn kernels
- 1 Cup crumbled queso fresco
- 12 slices jalapeño pepper
- 6 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
These corn muffins are good with just a dab of butter but they are great with another dab of red jalapeño jelly. I guess in this case I followed the mantra we hear often today, "Go Big or Go Home." These are truly big on the pepper, but oh so good, too!
See all muffin recipes.
Position the oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 regular-sized muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until well blended. Combine the buttermilk and sour cream in a small bowl.
Add the eggs and oil to the milk-sour cream mixture and mix with a fork until well blended. Pour the liquid over the dry ingredients and add the poblano peppers, corn kernels, and 2/3 cup of the queso fresco. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold (no stirring) until just blended.
Portion the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups (¼ cup of batter per cup will be about ¾ of the way full).
Sprinkle the tops with the remaining queso fresco and then top each muffin with a jalapeño slice and a halved tomato. Bake until the tops are pale golden brown and a pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes.
Serve immediately or cool completely and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. They are best served warm so please reheat before serving.
Calories per serving:220 calories
Dietary restrictions:Balanced Vegetarian, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Pork Free, Alcohol Free