- M.F.K. Fisher born (1908)
Quinoa Zucchini Burgers
- 2 portobello mushrooms (8 ounces), stems removed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small zucchini
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 Cup shallot, minced or 1/4 cup mixed and minced onion and garlic
- 1/4 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 Cup Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 Cups quinoa, rinsed and cooked
- 3/4 Teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 Cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 Cup oats, pulsed in a food processor until ground or an additional 1/2 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 15 hamburger buns or rolls, toasted
Quinoa is spiced with shallots and red pepper, then cooked with portobello mushrooms and shredded zucchini. If zucchini is out of season, try incorporating shredded carrots or bell peppers for a different take on these innovative burgers.
This recipes comes to us from Cathy of A Life Less Sweet.
Click here for Meatless Monday Summer Grilling Tips.
Pulse the mushroom pieces in a food processor until finely diced. Shred the zucchini and squeeze out excess moisture with a paper towel. Place the chopped mushrooms and shredded zucchini into a bowl and set aside.
Place 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the shallot or garlic onion mixture and red pepper flakes to the pan and cook for about 2 minutes, or until the shallot begins to soften.
Add the mushrooms and zucchini to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese, cooked quinoa and salt. Let cool completely.
Stir the egg, breadcrumbs, and oats, if using, into the quinoa zucchini mixture. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour, or until cold and firm.
When quinoa zucchini mixture has chilled, shape into small patties of preferred size, between ¼- and ½-inch thick.
Place the remaining tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When mixture is hot, place the quinoa patties into the skillet in an even layer. You may have to cook them in batches or use 2 skillets.
Cook the quinoa patties for about 3 minutes on each side, or until they are crispy on the outside and cooked through.
Serve each quinoa zucchini burgers on a toasted bun with a side of blanched green beans. Enjoy!