President Obama Delivers Krispy Kreme Donuts to Firefighters
Recipe of the day
- Marc Forgione on His Cookbook, Abolishing Tips, and His Favorite Vodka
- Noma Documentary Launches Indiegogo Campaign
- Pete Wells Awards No Stars to Javelina, Shows Off His Backhand
- April Bloomfield in Talks for Elaborate 4-Story Restaurant with a Rooftop in Downtown Manhattan
- The Daily Meal Talks Career, Cuisine, and Contributions with Stephan Pyles
While in Tampa, Fla., the president surprised employees and customers of a Krispy Kreme donut franchise by purchasing three-dozen donuts and palling around with several onlookers, including a teacher and a father with two children in tow. According to Agence France-Presse's Stephen Collinson, Obama singled out the teacher and addressed the room, saying, "Trent is a math teacher, he is buying donuts for his kids. That whole math and donut connection is the key to school reform because I know his kids are doing great."
Rather than consuming the donuts himself (the first lady most surely would not have approved), the president made sure that the freshly deep-fried sugar bombs made their way to the brave men and women of Tampa's Fire Station 14. Reports are unclear as to whether the president consumed any of the donuts while at the station, though he was challenged to a game of basketball by one of the firefighters.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts