- Nathan Myhrvold born (1959)
Potatoes au Gratin
- 6 small Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced thinly on a mandoline or using the slicer attachment on a food processor
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 pints half-and-half or milk and cream
- Freshly grated Gruyère, Parmesan, or other sharp cheese, to taste
Here's a basic, no-frills version that's a snap to prepare. We suggest freshly grated Gruyère or Parmesan, but any sharp cheese will do nicely. Serve this with roasted meats, fish, or poultry as well as egg dishes as a rich and hearty side dish.
See all casserole recipes.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Layer the potatoes in a small casserole dish and liberally season each layer with salt and pepper. Pour half-and-half (or milk and cream) over the top until the liquid is 2/3 of the way up the side of the layers of potatoes. Add a little Gruyère, Parmesan, or other sharp cheese. Bake until crisp and golden brown on top and bubbly. Serve hot.