- Sylvester (Crackers) Graham born (1794)
Portobello Mushroom 'Pizzas'
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons pizza sauce, or more if desired
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 roasted red peppers, cut into strips
- 4 large basil leaves, sliced into small ribbons, for garnish
This hearty and satisfying dish proves that low-carb meals don't have to consist of rabbit food. All the familiar flavors of your favorite pizza are assembled atop a meaty portobello mushroom cap — it's so good you won't miss the crust at all! I love the combination of the tangy roasted peppers, gooey cheese, and sweet basil with the smoky mushrooms, but of course, you can use any toppings you're craving.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Brush the mushrooms with olive oil and season on both sides with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the mushrooms until tender, about 4 minutes on each side. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and place them on the baking sheet, gill side up.
Spread the pizza sauce evenly over the mushrooms. Top each mushroom with mozzarella cheese and peppers.
Place the mushrooms in the oven and cook until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the peppers are warmed through, about 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and garnish with the basil.