Porcini Salad with Watercress and Black Truffle Vinaigrette
- 4 large fresh porcini mushrooms
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh black truffle or black truffle paste
- 2 Tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bulb fennel, cut into 1/4-inch-thick matchsticks
- 2 bunches watercress (about 3 loose cups)
- Freshly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano or Grana Padano (optional)
The rich earthiness of porcini mushrooms is highlighted by grilling them to perfection and drizzling them with a subtle black truffle vinaigrette. This is a fantastic appetizer for mushroom lovers that's a real treat for the senses.
See all salad recipes.
Prepare a charcoal grill or preheat a broiler.
Carefully cut each mushroom in half and place on the grill or on a baking sheet under the broiler. Cook, turning often until charred and softened, about 8-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine the shallots, chopped truffle, balsamic vinegar, and apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Using a fork or whisk, slowly stir in the olive oil. Season with additional salt, to taste.
Mix the fennel and watercress in a large bowl and divide into 4 serving bowls. Remove the hot mushrooms from the heat and place in each bowl. Shave the cheese onto each salad, if using. Drizzle the truffle vinaigrette on top of each salad and serve.
Calories per serving:176 calories
Dietary restrictions:Low Sodium Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added