Norovirus Sickens Diners at Noma

According to reports, the world's best restaurant sickened more than 60 guests


Yikes — Noma, Rene Redzepi's Copenhagen restaurant currently ranked number one on the S. Pellegrino World's 50 Best List, has reportedly sickened 63 diners thanks to a norovirus outbreak.

According to Danish newspaper Politiken, 63 guests reported that they fell ill after eating at Noma from Feb. 12 to 16, while the Copenhagen Post reports that four additional diners have also reported symptoms of nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.

"It is a matter that deeply affects us all, and we are very sad," director of Noma, Peter Kreiner, said in a press release.

The official story is that the virus was brought  in by a sick employee, Politiken reports, and the outbreak prompted an inspection from authorities. The Copenhagen Post reports that Noma was cited for not disinfecting kitchens in time to prevent contagion, as well as not having hot water in the taps for staff to wash their hands with.

Since the outbreak, however, the restaurant has reportedly disinfected the kitchen several times and destroyed all the food from the offending week. Are reservation numbers down, by any chance? We'd like to get one.


Be a Part of the Conversation

Have something to say?
Add a comment (or see what others think).

Comments 0
2.77778
Ratings18


Like this story? Get updates by email, facebook and twitter
Get daily food and wine coverage


Latest from The Daily Meal

The Daily Meal Video Network
Strawberry Brie Grilled Cheese

Post a comment

Add a Comment

Upload a picture of yourself no larger than 3MB, please see Terms for details
CAPTCHA
Please answer this Captcha to prove you are human
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.
CAPTCHA
Please answer this Captcha to prove you are human