- Peach Month begins
- Sandwich Month begins
ReBar Owner Arrested and Charged with Multiple Felonies
Recipe of the day
- Join The Daily Meal in Celebrating Singapore Restaurant Week in New York City This September
- A Dining Guide to Caesars’ Atlantic City Hotels
- Where to Find Wild Raspberries in Prospect Park
- Hey New Yorkers: The Beloved H&H Bagel Is Coming Back… Sort Of
- Makena Surf Offers Privacy and Delicious Luxury in Maui
Aside from a terse email to managers and signs posted at the restaurant reading, “reBar is Closed and Bankrupt. DO NOT ENTER,” Stevens did nothing to inform his employees of plans to shutter his popular restaurant and bar.
The location was also a popular wedding venue for New York City couples, hundreds of which had already paid partially or in full for weddings in the coming months.
Stevens, who disappeared for several days after the closure with $175,000 in cash and wedding deposits, has been charged with multiple felonies, including grand larceny and tax fraud.
Stevens is accused of withholding nearly $1 million in taxes between 2009 and 2012 (although a reBar employee estimated a debt of $2.5 million), and faces up to 15 years imprisonment for grand larceny.
Karen Lo is an associate editor at The Daily Meal. Follow her on Twitter @appleplexy.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts