'Mock' Sushi Recipe
Daily Value: 53%
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Wheat-Free, Egg-Free, Milk-Free, Peanut-Free, Tree-Nut-Free, Soy-Free, Fish-Free
|Folic Acid (B9)||152µg||38%|
|Fatty acids, total monounsaturated||10g||0%|
|Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated||2g||0%|
Exclusive from The Daily Meal
This recipe is perfect when you're strapped for time, and kids will think you're super fancy for serving something sushi-like for dinner (and have a blast building their own handrolls). Just grab your favorite vegetables (cucumbers and asparagus work well), some steamed shrimp, and soy sauce to fix it all up.
- 2 cups sushi rice, cooked
- 8 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 6 teaspoons white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 sheets dried and seasoned seaweed (nori)
- 3 mini cucumbers, cut into slivers
- 1/2 pound cooked shrimp, preferably steamed
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced thinly
- Soy sauce, for serving (optional)
- Wasabi, for serving (optional)
In a bowl, combine the hot rice, rice vinegar, white sugar, and salt. Mix thoroughly. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Let cool slightly.
To assemble, cut the nori into squares for a handroll (or "taco"). Layer on the rice, cucumbers, shrimp, and avocado. Roll and serve with soy sauce and wasabi, if desired.