- Simone "Simca" Beck born (1904)
Medley of Mushrooms Soup
- 2 Tablespoons extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 bouquet garnis *
- 8 garlic cloves - crushed
- 4 Cups organic vegetable stock
- 4 Ounces Shiitake Mushrooms
- 6 Ounces Portabella Mushrooms
- 2/3 Cups Marsala or Madeira wine
- fresh ground Celtic salt and pepper to tasteIn a large crock pot heat olive oil Add chopped onion and sauté over low heat until
- 16 Ounces Crimini Mushrooms
- 1 onion - coarsely chopped
There is something about mushrooms that feels so rich and decadent.. I am always looking for creative ways to prepare them for my family. With the recent drop in temperature I was craving a hot bowl of soup. So I created this delicious medley of mushroom soup. It is simple to make but rich in flavor and aroma and instantly became a family favorite! Bon appétit!
In a large crock pot heat olive oil.
Add chopped onion and sauté over low heat until translucent - about 2 minutes.
Add the crushed garlic. Tear or cut all mushrooms into chunks and add to pot. Add fresh ground salt and pepper to taste.
Increase heat and cook covered until mushrooms have softened and have released their juices - about 5 minutes. Stir as needed to keep mushrooms from scorching.
Add the Madeira or Marsala wine along with the vegetable stock and drop in the bouquet garnis. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for another 15 minutes until mushrooms are fully cooked.
Remove bouquet garnis and ladle half to 2/3 of the soup in to a blender and pulse to form a coarse purée. Return to pot and blend with remaining soup.
*To make a bouquet garnis combine a couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary, oregano and thyme. Tie together with twine. If you do not have fresh herbs use 1/2 tsp each of dried rosemary, oregano and thyme. Place in small square of cheese cloth and tie with twine to close.
** for a dairy free version replace the crême fraîche or Greek yogurt with coconut milk or omit altogether.