- Juan Mari Arzak born (1942)
Le Bernardin, Jean Georges Get New Pastry Chefs
Recipe of the day
- A New High-End Pizzeria Plans to Go National
- An Entirely Plant-Based Vegan Fast-Casual Restaurant Has Opened in New York City
- Japanese Mos Burger Chain Replaces Bun with Tomato
- Daniel Patterson Announces Plans to Step Down as Executive Chef of Coi
- A New York City Restaurant Was Allegedly Fined for Specifically Hiring an Indian Server
To fill their shoes, the two fine dining establishments have hired new executive pastry chefs.
Le Bernardin has called in Laurie Jon Moran from Daniel, Picholine, and Per Se. Jean Georges, in the meantime, has picked up Joseph Murphy, who has worked for Jean-Georges Vongerichten as a corporate pastry chef. Jean-Georges Vongerichten reportedly described Murphy as "a big teddy bear, or maybe Gummy bear," but probably didn't mean the giant party gummy bear.
As for what the desserts will be, the Wall Street Journal reports that Le Bernardin will serve desserts with "slightly more elements... they're a tiny bit fuller," breaking down familiar recipes like a Black Forest cake or riffing off a piña colada.
Jean Georges desserts will maintain Iuzzini's "fourplay" approach, although with new ingredients like stone-ground Mexican chocolate.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts