At-Home Entertaining Tips for Watching the Olympics
Misty May-Treanor and Abby Wambach give their tips on suitable snacks
If it were up to us, we’d all be watching the 2012 Summer Olympics front and center from London in a few weeks. However, not all of us are that lucky. So what’s the next best thing? Watching the games at home with friends!
Trade your go-to party recipes for a few ideas from the athletes themselves. The Daily Meal’s video producer, Ali Rosen, chatted with two-time volleyball gold medalist Misty May-Treanor and soccer gold medalist Abby Wambach to talk about foods fit for watching the Olympics.
Misty May-Treanor’s at-home snack tips for when she’s watching the Olympics:
• "For large groups — sandwiches! Have everyone build their own."
• "I think different healthy finger foods are fun. You know, sometimes you get extravagant and people make these large meals, but… you want to eat something and go sit in front of the TV and then eat and watch. You want foods that you’ll be able to carry around with you."
Abby Wambach’s at-home snack tips for when she’s watching the Olympics:
• Guacamole and tortilla chips! "Make sure you don’t go overboard, though. Nachos are great, too. It’s always a fun thing to do when you’re watching us win an Olympic gold medal."
Wambach’s soccer-themed food ideas:
• "Fish and chips — something that has London-esque qualities; bangers and mash. Of course, a stoic beer."
• "Get out a sandwich — get your Arnold Oroweat bread out, put some good ingredients on it. Hey, who knows, put it in a Panini maker and get crazy."
Misty May Treanor’s volleyball-themed food ideas:
• "Seafood, obviously. I mean, you get that in the ocean. I really love margaritas, you know — everyone’s having a good time at the beach."