Heirloom and Fried Tomato "Sandwich" Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 firm green tomatoes, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 heirloom tomato, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- 3-4 leaves of basil, chiffonade
- 1 tablespoon aioli
- Game Day Deviled Eggs Recipe
- Arugula Salad with Apple Vinaigrette Recipe
- South of the Border Salad Recipe
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups Recipe
- Individual S'more Tarts Recipe
- Graham Cracker Pie Crust Recipe
- Roasted Cherry Tomato Crostini with Oregano-Lemon Goat Cheese Recipe
- Garlicky Gazpacho Recipe
- Horseradish-Oyster Ceviche Recipe
One of my favorite things about summer is the bounty of tomatoes that fills our farmers’ markets and grocery stores. My only dilemma is that there are too many kinds of tomatoes to choose from. I solved this problem by creating this tomato “sandwich” that uses fresh and sweet heirloom tomatoes with tart fried green tomatoes. With this treat I get the best of both tomatoes.
Start by placing the eggs, flour, and breadcrumbs in separate shallow bowls. Beat the eggs gently with a fork until well mixed. Bread the green tomatoes by dipping them, 2-3 at a time, in the flour, then the eggs, and then the breadcrumbs, coating them completely in the breading.
Coat the bottom of a small sauté pan with the vegetable oil and place it over medium-high heat. In batches of 2-3 tomatoes, gently place the breaded tomatoes in the oil and cook until both sides are golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the tomatoes to a paper towel-lined plate and season lightly with salt and pepper.
While the fried tomatoes are still warm, place 1 on a plate and put 1 slice of the heirloom tomato on top. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with basil and drizzle with aioli. Place another fried tomato on top and serve.
Calories per serving:631 calories
Dietary restrictions:Balanced, High Fiber Dairy Free, Milk Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added