Gluten-Free Black Pepper Cornbread
- Canola oil, for greasing the pan
- 2 Cups stone-ground (or fine- to medium-ground) cornmeal
- 1 Cup corn flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 2-3 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 Cups buttermilk (or 1 cup plain milk mixed with 1 cup plain yogurt)
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1 tablespoon at room temperature
Making your own cornbread at home is easy, and substituting cornmeal for the usual all-purpose flour makes this recipe gluten-free, too. For best results, use a cast-iron pan when making this recipe. Enjoy!
See all gluten-free recipes.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Using canola oil, lightly grease a 10-inch cast-iron skillet and place it in the oven. (A 9-inch round cake pan or similar size rectangular pan can be used.)
In a bowl, whisk the cornmeal with the corn flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt, and pepper. In another bowl whisk the eggs, buttermilk, sour cream, and melted butter, then fold into the dry ingredients until fully combined.
Remove the hot skillet from the oven. Working quickly so that the pan does not cool off, drop 1 tablespoon of butter into the pan and swirl it to coat the sides. Pour the batter into the skillet and return it to the oven, middle rack.
Bake the cornbread until golden brown and firm to the touch, or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean, for about 35 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving or cutting into cubes for the dressing.
Note: If making this to eat as a bread, you can add any number of things to enhance this basic cornbread. For example:
- Add a small can of corn kernels (or a cup of frozen) to the wet ingredients. Combine.
- Eliminate the pepper and add fruit like blueberries, cranberries, and/or strawberries, but distribute them evenly over the batter after you've poured it into the skillet, and triple or quadruple the sugar content for a sweeter bread.
- Add savory ingredients like Cheddar cheese and jalapeños, or rosemary and Parmesan cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, caramelized onions, or anything else you can imagine!
Calories per serving:326 calories
Dietary restrictions:Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free