- Ice Cream Sandwich Day
Ginger-Turmeric Wings Recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- Three ¼-inch-thick slices ginger, peeled
- 7 whole chicken wings, tips removed, separated at the joint
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- Foil-Baked Salmon with Mango, Chile, and Lime
- Grilled Eggplant with Feta and Cucumber
- Grilled Swordfish Sliders
- Cinnamon-Scented Millet with Grilled Summer Vegetables
- Penne with Cherry Tomatoes and Zucchini Blossoms
- Grilled Swordfish with Thai Dipping Sauce
- Bacon and Jarlsberg Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 'No-Name' Hot Dog
- Grilled Fish with Watermelon Salsa
This recipe was inspired by my mother’s traditional Indonesian fried chicken, ayam goreng. But instead of deep-frying the wings, I tried to make these a little healthier while still retaining all the flavor, so I pan-roasted them in the oven.
Be warned: The unmistakable tang of turmeric will fill your kitchen. And the telltale stains will be everywhere, no matter how hard you try to work clean. But that’s okay. These are worth it.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the oil, garlic, and ginger in a 10-inch, ovenproof sauté pan and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, flipping the garlic about halfway through. Discard the garlic, flip the ginger pieces, and cook for 3 more minutes.
Meanwhile, place the wings in a bowl and season with the turmeric and coriander. Toss the wings and rub the spices in to make sure the wings are evenly coated.
Discard the ginger, increase heat to high, and add the wings to the pan. Arrange them all in a single layer. Season with salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste. Cook for 5 minutes, flipping halfway through and seasoning the other side with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
Transfer the pan to the oven or place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.