Fresh Muesli with Apples, Currants, and Toasted Almonds
- 2 Cups rolled oats
- 1/2 Cup currants or raisins
- 1 1/2 Cup milk
- 1 1/4 Cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 Cup honey or maple syrup
- 4 medium-sized Gala, Braeburn, Fuji or other firm-fleshed apples, cored
- 1/4 Cup lemon juice
- 1/3 Cup slivered almonds
- 2 Cups berries
- Tuscan Apple Cake
- Sautéed Beet Greens with Cumin, Lemon Zest, and Crispy Fried Garlic
- Banana Bread with Brazil Nuts and Dark Chocolate Swirls
- Almond Scones
- Boston Lettuce and Radish Salad with Grilled Fingerling Potatoes
- Marinated Feta with Pan-Roasted Shishito Peppers and Olives
- Basil Pesto
- Cannellini Bean Dip with Pan-Fried Mint
- Carrot Cake with Cardamom, Currants, and Ginger-Crème Fraîche Chantilly
Did you know that the dry muesli that comes in a box bears no resemblance whatsoever to the fresh muesli you can make from scratch?
If you've never tasted fresh, homemade muesli, you owe it to yourself to try this recipe.
The heart of fresh muesli is rolled oats soaked in milk. (I love to add currants to the oats for the delicate sweetness they release.) Once they've absorbed the milk, you'll coarsely grate loads of snappy apples and add them to the mix, along with yogurt, honey, and a generous splash of lemon juice.
The lemon juice is a critical ingredient here. It brightens the flavors and brings a needed counterpoint to the sweetness of the fruits and honey. So don’t be tempted to skimp.
Serve it with seasonal berries and toasted almonds, and you have a muesli that's not only nutritious, it's also light and absolutely delicious.
What a perfect way to start your day!
Place the oats and currants in a large bowl. Add the milk, stir, and let stand at room temperature until the grains have absorbed all of the liquid, about 30 minutes.
Add the yogurt and honey to the oat mixture. Coarsely grate the apples with a box grater. Add to the oat mixture with the lemon juice and stir until well blended. Set aside.
Heat a small heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the almonds and constantly stir or shake the pan until they become golden, about 2 minutes.
Transfer to a bowl to cool. Spoon the muesli into breakfast bowls. Top with the berries, sprinkle with the toasted almonds, and serve.
Calories per serving:567 calories
Dietary restrictions:High Fiber, Low Sodium