- First espresso machine patented (1938)
French Onion Soup Recipe
- 6 onions, peeled, 3 cut in half, the other 3 sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Two 26-ounce ounce containers of beef stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon of beef bouillon powder or two cubes (optional)
Though intended for our Make Your Own Epic Burger Adventure, this soup can also be eaten alone with a piece of sliced baguette and melted gruyère on top.
Cover the base of a sauté pan with a tablespoon of butter over high heat and add the onion halves until caramelized (Pictured right). Remove from heat and let them cool.
In a clean sauté pan, heat the remaining tablespoon of butter and add the onion slices over medium heat. Stirring occasionally, until browned and caramelized, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, slice the cooked onion halves. Then add to the caramelized onions in the pan, cover with the beef stock, wine, bay leaf and season with salt and pepper. Add the bouillon powder or cubes, if using, for added flavor. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes, adjusting seasoning as necessary.