Flank Steak Tacos
- 1 pound flank steak
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 8 tortillas, preferably 6-inch corn, but any 6-8-inch corn or flour torilla will work
- 2/3 cup Mexican crema or yogurt/sour cream thinned with a little cream, to taste
- Freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Harvest Kale Salad with Honey-Miso Dressing
- Garlic Ginger Chicken Wings
- Maple-Bacon Salmon
- Slow-Cooked Short Ribs
- Perfect Soft-Boiled Eggs with Toast Soldiers
- Merguez, Kale, and Sweet Potato Frittata
- Easy Peanut Butter Cookie
- Green Beans Almondine
- Sausage-Stuffed Acorn Squash with Pinenuts and Cherries
A properly cooked grass-fed flank steak, seasoned well, needs little garnish other than some thinly sliced vegetables, a couple of slices of avocado, and a dollop of crema.
When making a salad — or eating it on the run — isn’t an option, there are tacos. No, I’m not talking about the crispy, Tex-Mex interpretation. I’m talking about the perfectly warm and soft (and more authentically Mexican) flour or corn tortillas. Stuff it moderately, slather on some crema, wrap, and go. One is perfect for lunch, or two for dinner.
Preheat broiler on high.
Season steak on both sides with salt and pepper. Once broiler is hot, place steak on broiler pan and cook for about 4 minutes, rotating halfway through. Flip steak and broil about 4 minutes longer for medium rare. Continue to cook if you like it more well done. Remove the steak and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain.
Meanwhile, place vegetables all on a platter and warm the tortillas. Set up a station where guests can assemble their own tacos, starting with a tortilla. Add the steak, vegetables, avocado, crema, and cilantro. Wrap (roll!) and serve.
Calories per serving:486 calories
Dietary restrictions:High Fiber Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added
Have a question about nutritional data? Let us know.