Eat Like Anne Hathaway
Recipe of the day
Anne Hathaway. Actress. Singer. Icon. Vegan.
Yes, the world-famous actress, soon to become even more famous as Fantine in Les Miserables (in theaters Christmas Day), forgoes all animal-based foods. Read on to learn even more about her eating habits, including her crazy diet for the film, and a couple of restaurants that she’s been spotted at.
1) While filming The Dark Night Rises, the actress ramped up the vegetarian diet she had been practicing into full-on veganism. Here’s an excerpt from an interview her trainer, Jackie Keller, did with Shape magazine:
"Some of the actress' favorite meals while preparing for the film include miso soup, a tempeh club avocado sandwich on gluten-free bread, Tuscan brown rice salad, vegetarian chicken-fried steak made with seitan, egg white frittatas, and vegetarian egg rolls. It all sounds super healthy but Keller admits Hathaway is a chocolate person and loved her gluten-free chocolate chip cookies, fudge brownies, and marble cake. While working on Dark Knight Rises, Keller made sure the actress had a dessert every day so she wouldn’t have any cravings. Other chocolate fixes Hathaway enjoyed include chocolate power smoothies made with almond milk, and Keller’s Mighty Bars, which she shipped overseas during filming."
And while it may not have made her wedding guests happy, Hathaway also served a completely vegan meal to the guests at her September wedding to Adam Shulman. The vegan veggie burgers, cupcakes, and macaroni and cheese served still sound pretty good, though!
2) The night before their wedding, Hathaway and Shulman held their rehearsal dinner at The Restaurant at the Ventana Inn in Big Sur, Calif., where 50 guests joined the couple for a three-course dinner, according to Celebuzz (the wedding itself was held on a nearby private estate rented for the occasion). So what was on the menu? Organic beets, hand-harvested diver scallops, Colorado grass-fed lamb, Saint Andre triple crème cheese with honey, and coconut ginger panna cotta for dessert, according to the site. But don't worry, a vegetarian option was offered as well.
3) In order to take on the emaciated look needed for her role as Fantine in the film adaptation of Les Miserables, Hathaway went on a diet that sounds just awful. "I just had to stop eating," she told the Hollywood Reporter, "all for a total of 13 days’ shooting."
She lost 10 pounds for her early scenes before filming began, then had to lose 15 more for her later scenes, in which she’s essentially dying. According to Vogue, during filming she ate only two small squares of oatmeal paste per day.
"I had to be obsessive about it — the idea was to look near death," she told the magazine. "Looking back on the whole experience — and I don’t judge it in any way — it was definitely a little nuts. It was definitely a break with reality, but I think that’s who Fantine is anyway."
4) When she’s not subsisting on oatmeal paste (!), Hathaway goes to restaurants just like we do, even though we’re sure sometimes it’s not easy to find vegan offerings (something tells us that the kitchen has no trouble whipping up something for the guest of honor, though). On June 16, 2010, she was spotted leaving London’s Locanda Locatelli with famed fashion designer Valentino.
5) Not every meal is full of wine and roses for Hathaway, unfortunately. In November 2010, the actress was spotted at New York hot spot Tocqueville , where she was celebrating her birthday with her parents and then-boyfriend Adam Shulman. Suddenly, the room became quiet, and she left the restaurant in tears, followed by Shulman. "It sort of came on pretty suddenly," a witness told Page Six. "Everyone got pretty quiet. She left crying, and then her boyfriend followed her, but her parents remained." No word on what set her off, but her father was apparently overheard saying, "'Let's not talk about it tonight; it's her birthday."
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts