Eat Like an Alcatraz Prisoner
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- NYC Wine & Food Fest Returns with Midnight Jazz Breakfast, the Art of Sushi, and More
- The Winners of the 2015 Memphis in May World BBQ Cooking Contest
- Here’s a Sneak Peek at the Atlanta Food & Wine Festival 2015
- Punta Mita Gourmet & Golf: A Sumptuous Event in Mexico
- The Romería, an Ancient Spanish Festival, Finds a New Home in South Carolina
ABC News reports that San Francisco’s infamous prison Alcatraz will be celebrated this August at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco’s exhibit Alcatraz: Life on the Rock. Part of the celebration will let guests eat like the prisoners.
This year marks the 50th year since Alcatraz closed. But, back in the day prisoners were offered a surprising menu. Eclipse Restaurant will be creating a limited-time menu to commemorate the food that prisoners often wrote home about.
The restaurant claims that it’s “widely known that Alcatraz had the reputation for dishing up the best prison food in the United States."
According to MSN News that the first warden of the prison believed that good food meant less violence, which is why prisoners ate so well. They were allowed to return for seconds, even thirds and fourth if they were hungry enough.
The menu at Eclipse will be a modern-day version of what would be served if the prison were still operational. It includes a starter, entrée, a side dish, and dessert. To add to the experience, guests will be served their dinner on a metal tray.
The Alcatraz-inspired menu will be available from August 8 to September 2, but, the larger exhibit will be on display until October 25.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts